Disciplining & dismissing for poor performance checklist
1. Have you got evidence of the required standards of performance and of where the employee has failed to meet these standards?
2. Has the employee had the standards explained to them at an informal meeting where any reasons for the poor performance were also investigated?
3. Is it possible that the poor performance can be attributed to a medical condition? If so, it may not be appropriate to issue performance warnings and you should consider using a procedure for managing ill-health.
4. At the informal meeting, did you identify any means of support that you could give to the employee and have these been followed up?
5. Was the employee given a reasonable period to improve and warned of the consequences of insufficient improvement before commencing a formal procedure?