Employmentbuddy - Your best buddy in human resources

Government announces new visa scheme for overseas researchers

06 July 2018 #Immigration

Immigration rules are to be relaxed by the Home Office today with the introduction of a new ‘UKRI Science, Research and Academia’ scheme which allows non-EEA researchers, scientists and academics to come to the UK for up to 2 years.

The new scheme will be added to the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) visa route. It has been introduced to reflect and encourage ongoing growth of the research sector in the UK.

The Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) category is for people coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice, and to experience the social and cultural life of the UK.  This category cannot be used to fill job vacancies or to bring unskilled labour to the UK. Tier 5 GAE schemes and sponsors are listed in Appendix N of the Immigration Rules.

The ‘UKRI Science, Research and Academia’ scheme will be operated by UK Research and Innovation and along with 12 approved research organisations such as the National History Museum, will be able to directly sponsor highly skilled individuals such as specialist technicians to work and train in the UK.

This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking professional and legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.


Be the first to comment on this blog.

Leave your comments
Your comments will be published after being approved by employmentbuddy team, displaying your name as you provide it. But your contact details will never be published. Please read our terms and conditions.


If you would like further information, please email or call us.

+44 (0)118 953 3955